Saturday, July 05, 2008

Original Metroplis Found!


A copy of the original cut of Fritz Lang's Masterpiece Metropolis has been found in a museum in Argentina. The original cut from 1927 was about 3 hours long. At some point a shortened version was made and was the only version available since. The extra footage was thought lost but recently turned up. I've seen the short version several times in film class. The longer version apparently answers many of the questions people have had of the first one.

It's amazing what Lang was able to accomplish on screen in 1927, it probably helped that it was the most expensive film made at the time.

Apparently the found print is badly scratched. Presumably someone will digitally fix it up and release it at some point.

I hope no one ever tries to remake it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot about this movie, and have wanted to watch it for quite some time now...

I always want to watch more silent films, but I find I have to be in a specific mood to enjoy them... so far my silent knowledge is limited to loads of Chaplin (genius) and The Cabinet of Dr. Calligari (AMAZING).

I'll still watch this one some day...

Unknown said...

a remake would be very interesting