Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Next Week's Films.



There were a few choices this week. I was told last week that Narnia: Prince Caspian was available. Today I was told You Don't Mess with the Zohan and The Love Guru were available. Love Guru lasted an amazingly short time so must have done no business at all. It won't be playing at Western Film.


I decided to play Narnia next week including matinees. I didn't think Zohan would do well as a late show only. I decided to bring Iron Man back for late shows. It did pretty good for late shows the first week and I'm pretty sure the holiday weekend messed up attendance.


I'll keep Zohan in reserve. My gut says it won't do well so I won't be upset if I don't get a chance to play it.


One interesting thing happened. Sex and the City was the lowest grosser at the Silver City last weekend but they decided to keep it. This weekend it jumped to #6. I thought about it a minute and I think I know why. The only movie that opened this weekend was Hancock, a guy type movie. So many females who wanted to see a film went to see Sex instead.


The booker was also checking on Kung Fu Panda, and The Hulk so they should come off soon. I just noticed The Happening is not playing any more so Fox will set a date, probably the next Friday. I won't be able to split it so it may have to wait a week or two or maybe not play at all if other choices are available.

4 comments:

MarkM said...

The thing that continued to surprise me summer after summer was how quickly movies seemed to come off at this time of year. It's like they canibalize each other. At WF you'd spend weeks trying to find something to play and then in the summer you'd have to figure out how to fit it all in.

I didn't see Love Guru completely but I did see a highlight reel at ShowCanada...I could hardly stop laughing. Of course, I probably saw the funniest parts of the movie!

WesternFilm said...

It hasn't been as hard to juggle films this summer, there's so many films that aren't performing well First Run which translates more to Second Run than it used to.

I thought Love Guru was fairly funny. I don't think it deserved to tank that bad. I've seen way worse (Epic Movie comes to mind).

Gaston said...

I enjoyed 'What Happens in Vegas' last night.

Narnia doesn't seem that interesting. AFAIK, it's for kids.

The one from Zohan might be funny, although not necessarily a good movie.

I'm waiting for Hulk! =)

Anonymous said...

Narnia - didn't care much for the first one, won't bother watching this one.
Iron Man - i am starting to believe i will NEVER get a chance to see this.
Love Guru - looks terrible... but i'll prob watch it anyway.
Zohan - laugh out loud at the trailer every time... plus i love sandler.
Hancock - looks terrible but i love will smith so i'll give it a shot.
Kung Fu Panda - so much better than it looks. trailers make it look like crap, it's actually a great little flick.
Hulk - pretty bad. so much talk about how good it was... what a disappointment. it was definitely better than the first one, but then again, so was date movie...

i want iron man =(