Thursday, July 03, 2008

A mystery about a movie I saw in England and why they almost didn't let me in.


I was looking through the movie listings one day when I was in London and noticed a place called the Barbican was holding an animation festival. There was an interesting looking film called Dragon Hunters playing. It was CGI but with a very stylized look to the characters. It looked like a kid's film but I don't mind watching kid's film's if they look interesting.

The Barbican turned out to be a cultural center or museum with various galleries, theaters etc.


When I went to buy my ticket the guy said I couldn't go. It turned out the animation festival was for kid's and I could only go if I had a kid with me?! I'm not sure I understand the logic of that. There's plenty of film fans who would like to see an animated film of this quality even if it's for kids. I was a bit pissed as it hadn't said anything about this on the website and it had taken me about an hour to get to the place.


The guy called his boss who said it was okay to let me in. It was assigned seating so I had to choose where I wanted to sit. I told him I'd "hide in the back so no one thought I was a pedophile"


Anyway I saw the film and it was really good, very adventurous and wonderfully animated. It had created an eerily beautiful world where everything was floating and randomly crashing into each other. The quality of the animation was equal to anything Hollywood generates, better in most cases.


The mystery is this: I can find hardly anything about the film on the Internet about a US release. It's a French film but the version I saw was dubbed into English with the main character's being voiced by Forest Whittaker. However if you look on imdb.com under the title it only brings up the French version and it's not listed under Forest Whittaker. I even had a hard time finding an official site. Check out the teaser trailer below or the high quality full trailer at the official site.


If this film ever comes out here I'd recommend seeing it to anyone, even if they aren't a child. I enjoyed it a lot more than most of the Hollywood animated fare I've seen.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks good. i'm a huge sucker for animations... in the past years, out of the major releases, shrek 3 was the only one i disliked... (there were smaller ones like 'happily n'ever after' or 'doogal' which sucked by anyone's standards...)

actually - what's with making sequels to animations? shrek 3 sucked and they've got 4 and 5 planned... ice age 2 was pretty weak, so why make a third?

madagascar 2 coming out in november... cars 2 in the works, hoodwinked 2 coming out soon... what the hell is up with spoiling good movies with crap sequels?