Saturday, June 30, 2007

Western Film mini movie review - Paprika


Paprika is the latest Anime film to get a theatrical release. I saw it at The Hyland tonight. For those who don't know, Anime is Japanese animation made for adults not kids. Much of the Pokemon style kid's animation is very edited down Anime. I've always been a big Anime fan but had kinda given up on the DVD ones lately. Too often it just plain doesn't make sense. I often wonder if it's a translation issue or if the Japanese just have a different way of telling a story.

Anime is always spectacular to look at however. No one destroys a city in quite the same way as Japanese animators. I do like the movies that come out to theatres since they are more self contained and usually make more sense.

Considering it's themes of dreams and reality Paprika made fairly good sense. It did do the old ' is this real or am I still dreaming/in The Matrix/being mentally controlled by aliens?' bit a lot. Overall I really liked the film, spectacular visuals and lots of destruction. Cool music too, I usually hate the music in Anime, often sounds like bad 80's pop music. I'm considering playing it at Western Film but will have to see what comes available. Without the students around it really shrinks the Anime fandom on campus.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Oh man. If you played "Paprika," depending on how good it is, I might even see it twice! I've been looking forward to this for ages.

(I can guarantee I'll bring a friend or two, hehe.)