Monday, June 04, 2007

Fewer movie ads on Telelvision?

I've read a couple thing recently that indicate the studios will probably do fewer ad buys on TV. Some companies are switching advertising dollars to the Internet, figuring the primary audience for movies, teenagers and young adults, will be more likely to see it.

Technology like Tivo and PVR's are another reason. So many people are recording things to watch later and/or skip the commercials. The usual advertising strategy of blanket ads the last few days before opening weekend goes out the window if people don't want the shows until after the weekend.

I see the latter point. I got a new computer a few months ago with a PVR built in. I record pretty much everything to watch later. However I am watching more TV in total. I basically gave up on watching TV series because they were constantly moving them around and I would miss some. With the PVR there's a guide for up to two weeks ahead so I just select the items I want to record. I started watching 3 series, Bones, Heroes and Ugly Betty. I do fast forward through the commercials but if I see one that looks interesting I'll go back and watch it especially movie commercials. On the other hand I just got around to watching some episodes of South Park I recorded back in March. There were a lot of ads for Fido which is long gone from Theatres.

I can think of one thing that would help. Instead of concentrating the advertising in the last few days before the movie opens start the commercials a couple weeks earlier. Most people who record things probably watch them fairly quickly.

No comments: