Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hiring Staff

I had to hire a new staff member this week. One of my current staff had to quit on short notice.



Until I got this job I'd never hired people before. When I was a student and I didn't get jobs I applied for I always wondered what I did wrong. Now that I'm hiring people I know just how random it can end up being. On-campus jobs are very popular because it's so convenient for students. Also some International students are only allowed to work on campus. So any time I post a job I get a least 50 resumes.
I usually do about 8 interviews so I have to narrow it down. As I go through the resumes I label them Yes No and Maybe.
Resumes with spelling mistakes are usually automatic Nos, with allowances made when English is obviously not the person's first language. One of the resumes I got this week was addressed to Mrs Johnston.

Maybes are usually ones with no retail experience.
Yes's are usually ones with some retail experience and at going to be here at least one more year.

There are some variables if something catches my attention, one of my current staff had never had any kind of job. I figured he would do a good job and decided to give him a chance. Plus I remember when I was his age and caught in the 'every job wants experience so can't get a job to get experience' cycle.

Once I narrow it down to just the Yes's I start making phone calls and whether a person gets an interview can be as random as not being home. Once I have booked about 8 interviews I stop calling.

Choosing staff can be a difficult decision. Often I get more than one interviewee that I think would do a good job so it can be hard to choose. Sometimes I decide based on what the person is studying. Western Film experience would be much more useful to a Film or Media student than a biology major.

Some trends I've noticed.
A lot of people have worked at Tim Horton's. A lot of people have worked at Call Centers, almost always for a short time. I'm getting more resumes from people who are way overqualified to work in a movie theatre.

Some things that bug me.
During the interview when I ask why the person wants to work at Western Film I usually hear something like 'I want to work with people'. Just be honest people, you want a job to make money.
People who apply for every job without really caring what the job is.
-To work in a movie theatre a person needs to have at least some interest in and knowledge of movies.

I have a pretty good track record with hiring choices. Most of the staff I've hired have worked out. There's been a few I've had to let go. Usually for not doing their share of the work with the other employees having to pull up the slack. Also for just plain not paying attention, if someone consistently does things like putting up display case signs upside down or putting a Starts Friday tag on the wrong poster they won't be around long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that no one is going to turn to you and say "I want money" as a response to your question right? Where as a lot of people love the honesty thing- most people would be fried in an interview if they said they were there for the money. Although, props, it's not the most original.. they could go with the old fashioned "I heart movies blah blah blah" it's a little more creative then "I love people" cause well.. take a look around.. no one loves people- 9 out of 10 you come across are miserable. But I have to give you some Kudos for pulling the one person out of the catch 22 we know as job experiece. Good show.

WesternFilm said...

I didn't mean I want anyone to tell me they want money. Something along the lines of 'looking for a part time job'. I just find it kind of fake when I hear the 'want to work with people' line. I hear it from 90% of the people I interview. I'm more interested in practical answers such it's convenient because it's on campus or working evenings works well with their class schedule.

Anonymous said...

It's totally fake, but they are just going to tell you what you want to hear right? Well, at least what they think you want to hear!