Tuesday, April 08, 2008

One of my favorite pieces of music is in so many trailers!

One thing I like about the internet is how easy it is to find things out as opposed to the stone ages before. Back in the stone age there was this piece of music I kept hearing in trailers and commercials etc that I really liked but never knew what it was called. I finally found out somehow. Nowadays if I want to know what the music in a trailer is I can find out in a few minutes.

The music I like is part of a longer selection by Greig called In the Hall of The Mountain King. I can think of at least two recent trailers that use it and some older ones. The 1993 Needful things trailer was really well done, I remember showing it in front of films and going out to watch it each time just to listen to the music. I think that was before I knew what it was so I couldn't get it on CD.

Below are two recent films that use the piece, if you don't recognize the music you don't watch a lot of trailers or commercials.

Chaos Theory is apparently supposed to come out on Friday, must be a limited release. BTW, don't read the About This Video section if you go back to youtube, it contains a spoiler.



4 comments:

Gaston said...

Seems interesting this movie, 'Chaos Theory'. I guess I'm going to see it if you bring it. =)

Anonymous said...

Great trailers... I had seen the Funny Games one before... but it was a delight seeing Chaos Theory - LOVE Ryan Reynolds. I recently watched an under-publicized movie starring him, "The Nines" - interesting, in the end it may seem a little silly, but I loved it...

As for the song: yes, great one from the Peer Gynt Suite. There was a song that I would hear in every commercial, and then whenever I'd enter a store, a remix of it would be playing, and I searched everywhere and couldn't find it... When I finally got my hands on Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite... listening to the first track was an incomparable experience. That was the song that was haunting me. A great little feel good melody: "Morning Mood".

Gotta love Grieg.

WesternFilm said...

I just saw The Nines last week, it was quite interesting. I wish it had gotten a theatrical release here.

Ryan Reynolds doesn't seem to be having a lot of luck with wide releases lately. The Nines had a very limited run in the US, Chaos Theory is playing in one theatre in Toronto and that seems to be the only one in the whole country?! I hope it does well and goes wider. I want to see it.

Anonymous said...

no kidding, eh...

just thought about it.
The Nines, Chaos Theory, Just Friends, Waiting, School of Life...

He's finally become a household name, but not so big a name that anything he does gains attention. I mean, it seems like he does movies he likes/believes have quality (let's ignore Smoking Aces for now...) but I guess his star power isn't so big as to draw crowds on the basis of his name alone.

Still... love the guy, and I'll watch anything he's in. 2 Guys and a Girl was a solid show.