Saturday, April 05, 2008

Alcohol in the movies.

The recent talk of raising the drinking age in Ontario to from 19 to 21 made me think of this post. I think the idea has already been kaboshed but it was a stupid idea. Young people can vote, join the military and kill people and make decisions that affect their whole lives before they are 21?! One of my staff would have been at the end of his third year before he could drink if the age had been raised?!

Anyway, in general I don't have any problems with drinking unless it's excessive. I go out once in a while but don't keep any at home. Coming from a family with a history of alcoholism I can't stand people who drink too much. I've been finding the use of alcohol in movies seems to bother me lately.

The next few movies you watch think about how much alcohol is consumed. Most times when someone visits they are offered a drink even if it's just a social call. The characters seem to use drinking both to celebrate and console themselves.

I sometimes wonder if the liqueur companies sponsor some of these films.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Raising the drinking age in Ontario from 19-21, is not a good news to the parents because of the dangers it can cause to their child. Moreover, movies which shows people who drink alcohol just to enjoy themselves could be imitated by the youth of today. This type of films shouldn't be recommended because it is bad for the youth moviegoers.