Friday, April 11, 2008

I must be the most depressed person on the planet?

A commenter recently said going to the movies alone was a depressing thing to do. That makes me really depressed then as I almost always go alone. I don't know anyone who goes to as many movies as I do so it would be hard to find people to go with me to every movie.

With my work schedule I work most of the evenings people usually go to movies.

I don't mind going alone, although it is nice to have someone to discuss the film with afterward, especially if it's a interesting film.

A while ago someone gave me a two for one pass for Cineplex that expired about 6 months later. I never got a chance to use it. Although in my defense that was largely because when movies first come out they usually put on the 'no passes' restriction.

I have noticed a lot of people come to Western Film alone, and they don't all look depressed, just some of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha... I actually laughed reading this post. You nailed it when you said it's nice having someone to discuss the film with afterward.

I don't mind watching movies alone at home, but when you go out, there's the whole trip there and back, and then waiting for the movie to start and all that... alone with your thoughts.

I think I've only gone to the movies alone twice. Once at Westernfilm I watched 'the illusionist' - perhaps the sheer crappiness of the movie scarred me for life.

Perhaps it was the time, back in Brazil, when I was alone at home - girlfriend and all my friends were traveling - and I watched four episodes in a row of the second series of the original 'the office'. That ought to be enough to make anyone feel rather depressed. I felt compelled to leave the house or else I'd drive myself crazy, so I went to the movies alone and watched 'Birth' (Nicole Kidman movie). That's one you NEED to discuss afterward as it is open-ended. Oh man... I did drive myself crazy that day.

I'll give it a shot again next week. I'll be sure to try to smile.

Gaston said...

I have gone alone to the cinema many times. The first time to Western Film was one of the cases. If I want to go to the cinema (i.e. I'm in the mood), I don't need somebody to come with me. However, when I plan ahead, I invite people to come because many enjoy going to the cinema from time to time.