Sunday, June 08, 2008

Movie Theatre teaser for Pink Panther 2.


I thought the first Steve Martin Pink Panther was okay but obviously nowhere near as good as the Peter Sellers series. A lot of people around here wonder why a sequel is being made when it didn't do great here. The reason is it did big business in the rest of the world. According to boxofficemojo.com it did 82 million in North America, not bad but not great. However it did 76 million overseas. A large amount compared to the domestic gross. Hence we get a sequel.


This is the first teaser for the film. I can't quite tell if it's part of the film or footage shot just for the teaser. I'm inclined to believe the latter. It's self-contained and takes place in a movie theatre. The end part seems a little long to be inside a movie and there's something at the very end that's obviously not in the film.


P.S. I love the Marquee on the theatre. I wish theatres still had those fancy Marquees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think to like the Peter Sellers Panther movies, it has to be closer to your generation than the Steve Martin one... I love old movies, and I make an effort to watch them, I love Chaplin, I've watched one Marx Bros. and wanna watch more...

I've only watched the first 15 minutes or so of one of the Sellers movies (can't remember which) and it was terrible. To me it just seemed like someone trying incredibly hard to be funny and failing miserably.

The new Pink Panther, on the other hand, I loved. Sure, it had a few bad jokes, but it had an incredible amount of jokes: so even if only 25% of the jokes were funny that's still more than you'd usually see due to the sheer quantity of jokes in the film.

But I'm not looking forward to the sequel - this teaser didn't look like much to me, and a lot of the team behind it changed (director and writers: only Martin remains)... Usually when sequels change hands they never live up to the first (except if the first sucked in the first place).

But you can be sure I'll watch it anyway.