Friday, August 17, 2007

Western Film's very own Diet Coke fountain of delight

We had a bit of a mess a couple days ago. Western Film uses canisters of pop under the counter. We can't use the syrup most restaurants use since we don't have a water supply. The canisters are full of pop and there is a bottle of CO2 hooked into the system. CO2 is what gives pop it's fizz. In this case the CO2 not only makes sure the pop is carbonated but is under pressure and pushes the pop out the tap.

Each canister has two nozzles on it, one for CO2 in and the other for pop out. Occasionally the canisters get over pressurized and come out really foamy. It's a weird kind of foam that doesn't settle fast so it really slows us down. Diet Coke is especially bad for this, especially when it's warm.

To solve the foam issue we depressurize the canister by letting some of the CO2 out. We push down on a little valve in the center of the nozzle that lets in the CO2 and let some out.

One of my staff went to do this and a quite spectacular event occurred. I'm sorta sad I wasn't around to witness it.

Diet Coke started spraying everywhere, it was all over the carts, the floor, our juice fridge and the ceiling! One of my staff who was trying to stop it got soaked in pop.

It took about an hour to clean it all up. I ended up on a ladder wiping off the ceiling. Luckily it didn't stain. There was one section that was a little higher than the rest and was right beside the atrium. I couldn't reach it without getting higher on the ladder than I wanted to. Me and heights don't get along. I ended up getting a paint roller and covering it with paper towels.

My initial assumption was the staff member had pushed on the pop out nozzle instead of CO2 in but it turned out it was the CO2 nozzle. Every so often a canister gets what I call 'super pressurized' and pop comes out the CO2 nozzle.

Normally if pop started coming out we would stop pushing on the valve obviously. I figure the nozzle must has stuck open as it does from time to time and hence created Western Film's very own fountain for a few seconds.

No comments: