Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New Policy on movie reviews.

I've decided I need to approach movie reviews differently if I'm going to do them. I'm in a bit of a conflict of interest since I run a movie theatre I don't want to write reviews that keep people from seeing the film.
This was brought to the fore with the review I wrote for Evan Almighty. It was pretty negative.

One thing about films is they are so subjective, a movie one person loves another hates. There is usually a general consensus though. There are exceptions though. I can think of a couple examples.

Waitress- I've heard people say this was their favorite movie and I think I've decided I hated it. As an example read the user reviews at tribute.ca for Waitress. Talk about differing opinions. I think the gap is along gender lines.

Little Miss Sunshine- I heard this was one of the best movies ever etc and I went to see it and thought it was alright but didn't understand the hoopla.

Grease 2- considered one of the worst movies ever made but one of my favorites. Please don't tell anyone.

So this is my new policy on movie reviews. Let me know if you disagree.

I'm only going to do reviews for movies I liked or at least didn't hate or films I know won't be coming to Western Film. If I don't review a movie I either didn't like it or didn't see it. There's few movies I don't see and few movies I don't like in at least some way so I'll probably still review most films.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore Grease 2 as well. Okay, it was not as good as Grease but it did have some cute moments - who did not love Maxwell Caulfield's Michael and the song "Girl for all seasons"? Very adorable!

Anonymous said...

I didn't like Grease at all but your secret is safe.
Let me tell you something though, I read a lot of movie reviews and they don't affect whether or not I go see a movie or not. I enjoy your reviews and they give me something to think about. I will definitly rent Evan Almighty despite the fact that you didn't like it. Also, people said Ghost Rider was terrible and I thought it was the best movie I saw in a long time.. Please don't stop reviewing