Sunday, July 16, 2006

Concerts Vs Movies.

I went to see a Tom Jones Concert here in London tonight. My Grandma wanted to go. I was thinking about how different people treat concerts and movies.
Western Film costs $4.25 and if we start the movie 5 minutes late for some reason we get people complaining.
The tickets for Tom Jones at the John Labatt Center were about $100 each. The concert was supposed to start at 8pm so we showed up about 7:45. A comedian started at 8:05 and did his bit until 8:30. Then we sat and waited until 9:05 before Tom Jones actually came on. I could tell the audience was getting impatient.
The worst part was the seats, they had very little padding and were very close together, I'm quite tall and felt like I was sitting in a tiny airplane. By the time Tom started we both had sore butts.

So why are people willing to pay over $100 to wait for over an hour but get upset at a few minutes delay for a movie?

BTW- it was fairly obvious why the folks at JLC were waiting, people kept going and buying beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I work at the JLC and I worked the Tom Jones show, so I thought I would clear something up. The schedule for the evening was that a local comedian was to take the stage at 8:00pm for half an hour, then there was to be a half hour intermission, and Tom Jones was to take the stage at 9:00pm. So technically, according to the time you said he took the stage, he was only 5 minutes late. I do understand, however, that the schedule was not made clear to the attendees and therefore the wait would have been frustrating. Anyhow, I hope that helps clear things up for you about this particular concert.

WesternFilm said...

The schedule you refer to was not made public. The tickets said 8:00 and so does the JLC website. No mention is made of the comedian. I've never been a big fan of live music anyway so unless someone really interesting comes I won't be going back.