Thursday, April 13, 2006

Western Film played the trailer but not the movie?

I often get questioned about running trailers for movies we never play and having up posters for movies we never show. I thought I'd give some info why that happens.

1. Usually the movie sucks. One of the benefits of being second run is we can see how the first run theatres did with the movie. A film like Date Movie we probably would have played but it bombed.

2. It has to do with the Studio, as I've mentioned before some studios won't let us split so we don't play some of their movies. Date Movie is also an example of this, Fox wouldn't let us split it even if we had wanted to play it.

3. On the rare occasion we play a movie aimed at children we have to play trailers for children's movies. One can't really play a trailer for Saw 2 in front of Ige Age 2.

4. We put 4 trailers on in front of each movie, that creates a fairly consistent 10 minutes of trailers before the movie starts. Not only is the movie experience not complete without trailers (to me at least) but it gives late comers extra time to get into the theatre without missing any of the actual film. Occasionally I don't have 4 trailers in the proper format for movies I know I'm going to play so I put on something we may or may not play.

The posters work in a similar fashion but as soon as I know I'm not going to play a movie I take them all down. Some posters come in that I never even put up because I know I won't play the movie. I never put up the Ultraviolet posters for example. I have posters for Ige Age 2 I haven't put up because that's a very iffy movie. It's Fox so we probably won't be able to split it. A kids movie for the late show tends not to work here.

No comments: