Saturday, April 08, 2006

Loud Trailers

The last post reminded me of a common complaint from movie viewers (at other theatres, not Western Film). The trailers seem to be recorded at a higher volume than the movies, sometimes painfully so. Western Film plays our trailers at a volume level of 5 on our sound system, the movies play at around 7. If we played the trailers at 7 we'd be blowing people out of their seats.
There was one extreme example lately, we have a trailer for The Da Vinci Code that is incredibly loud even at 5. The first time I heard it I thought the projectionist had already turned the volume up.
I can't imagine how loud that trailer must have been in a theatre that plays everything at the same volume.
It kind of reminds me of TV commercials, everybody knows they are louder than the shows but the industry says they aren't. I think they do it to wake people up. On the other hand loud commercials on TV can backfire, there's always the Mute button. I know I use it quite often.

No comments: