Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Coolest Theatre I've ever been in.




Many moons ago (1992) I visited California, on Hollywood Blvd just down the street from the famouse Chinese theatre was a theatre called the El Capitan. It's a magnificently restored old Movie Palace. The marquee alone was one of the most elaborate I've seen. The theatre is owned by Disney. The movie playing was an enoyable but forgettable comedy called The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag starring my favorite how-did-she-get-famous-she-can't-act 'actress' Penelope Ann Miller. I went to see the movie just to see the inside of the theatre. It was incredible how they had restored it to it's original glory. Even old time showmanship reigned, it had, wait for it... curtains over the screen! Not just one but three, two opened sideways and another set went up. The theatre was also THX which is about as good as you can get as far as sound and picture. I would call it one of my best movie experiences ever and I've seen a lot of movies.
I was back in California a few years ago with my sister and greatly looking forward to seeing another movie there. However I was dismayed to find the movie playing was The Tigger Movie. My sister refused to go. I don't think I'll ever forgive her.

No comments: