Thursday, April 13, 2006

How Western Film Chooses it's Movies.

Western Film is a second run theatre which means we have to wait until movies leave the Famous Players and Cineplexes. We pay a lower percentage than they do and as such are able to charge less.

Each Monday all the theatres book for the following playweek which is Friday to Thursday. The first run theatres decide which movies they are dropping based on how well the movies did over the weekend and what is coming out the following week. A big movie like Star Wars opens on multiple screens so pushes other pictures out.

Our Booker lets me know what movies are available and I choose from there. I normally pick 2 movies, one for early show, one for late show. If there isn't anything new I want to play I'll replay something that did well recently or, occasionally, play something I didn't want to play just to fill the spot.

As an example, this week we had 4 new movies to choose from.

Aquamarine - aimed at too young an audience for us.
Date Movie - Fox so couldn't be split, plus it sucked.
Ultraviolet - bad movie, we don't do well with these kinds of bad action movies.
Pink Panther - this is the one I choose, it's a good movie for exam period, short and funny, (I hope, I haven't seen it)

To fill the other spot I asked about Mrs Henderson Presents and the documentary Why We Fight. We could have played these in earlier weeks but there were no prints available. Mrs Henderson was available so I booked it. There were no prints of Why We Fight so we'll have to wait for it.

It gets really interesting when there is nothing of interest available or more than 2 movies I want to play available the same week.

No comments: