Friday, May 15, 2009

Next Week's film May 15 - 21


There was only one higher profile film available for next week.


FIGHTING- It was a good film but I wouldn't have played it at Western Film even during the school year. Just not the kind of film we do well with. It's especially true right now considering how bad Observe and Report and Fast & Furious have done. All three appeal to a similar demographic and they just aren't around this time of year. This is always the worst time of the year.


I decided to try an experiment. Since the younger patrons aren't around I'll try something that appeals more to older movie goers. It's a good week to experiment as whatever I experiment with can't do much worse than what I've been playing and could do better.


I considered playing Waltz With Bashir but decided it was too serious and I was told by the booker it didn't play well anywhere in Canada.


I decided to try playing SUNSHINE CLEANING. It's apparently a good, funny film but has low awareness so I'm not sure what will happen. It played for a couple weeks at the Westmount, it must have done at least some business since they kept it for a second week.


I'm not sure what I'll do the following week if Monsters Vs. Aliens or something similar isn't available.

I don't think we'll have to wait too long for Wolverine considering the word of mouth and big second weekend drop. I'm still planning to play it as it is a big release and while it wasn't great it wasn't horrible either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is too bad that you did play Waltz With Bashir. Even though it may not have played well, it was up for an Oscar and I am more interested in that movie than Sinshine Cleaning. Good luck with your experiment and please let us know how it went.