Friday, May 08, 2009

I wish more cinemas would play these trailers.

I can't remember what they are called right now but I'm referring to the trailers that show off a particular part of the equipment , usually the sound system. The various Digital Sound systems all have their own, plus THX has some. Anyone who goes to Western Film knows we play a DTS one before every movie. I wish they would make a new one, that one is getting a bit overplayed.

Generally I prefer the Dolby Digital trailers, they seem more inventive and there are more to choose from.

I noticed few theatres seem to play them any more. I'm not sure why, it's not a big deal to put one on, we just attached our DTS one to the Feature Presentation and treat them as one unit.

If Western Film ever gets Dolby Digital you know I'll be playing the trailers.

This is a collection of THX trailers. The original THX trailer is still one of the most effective in my opinion. THX used to be a specific way of building a theatre to meet set criteria. If a theatre met THX specs you knew it was a good theatre. However it seems to have fallen out of use. Probably because theatres didn't want to pay the licencing fee every year to keep using the THX name. It's used on home equipment but in a very different way. I have a copy of one of the earlier ones on film and every so often I'll play it and crank the sound system.




This one holds a special place in my heart. My best friend and I at the time were trying to build a theatre here and we wanted it to be THX. When this segment of The Simpson's came on we laughed so hard it hurt. I saw this on the big screen once at the Uptown, my favorite theatre in Toronto, since torn down. It was a huge old palace and when the bass notes hit you could feel your chest vibrate.



This is one of the better Dolby Digital trailers. I love the bass in this one, again you could feel it in your chest.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/movie_index.php?type=dolby


I found this web site out of curiosity when you mentioned that there was only 1 DTS sound trailer.
the other is the piano. It is smaller but sounds cool.