Thursday, August 28, 2008

RIP Huron Marketplace


A co-worker informed me today that the weekly Cineplex e-mail included mention that the Huron Marketplace theatres would be closed as of Sep 2. I don't think anyone will be surprised. That theatre has been in decline for a while. When it was first built it was state of the art and even had two concession stands, one of which is all walled in now. Now it's one of those outdated mall theatres that are closing all over North America. They tried running as a third run theatre for $3.00 admission for a while but I guess it didn't work. Part of the problem may have been the concession prices were that same as at the more expensive theatres. I would imagine people expected lower food prices along with the lower ticket price.


The area it's in is getting pretty scary which I imagine was keeping people away.


I was there last week to see a film and it was pretty nasty. I could smell urine about half the way down the lobby, I'm not sure if it was the bathrooms or if some yahoo had pissed in a corner.


I've never been sure what effect it was having on Western Film. When Rainbow went first run the Marketplace was the only other second run theatre left in town. With it closing that leaves Western Film as the only one.


Basically Huron Marketplace closing may not help Western Film but it can't hurt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What if Rainbow takes over Huron Place? Since Rainbow have success with old Cineplex locations. I guess Empire Wellington 8 is next also.