Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Will that be Butter, Topping or Golden Topping?

One thing we get called on occasionaly is asking if people want butter on their popcorn when it's not actually butter. It's a special popcorn topping made by Becel, pretty similar to margarine. However we don't really have a choice in the asking. When I first started here I told the staff to ask people if they wanted topping. We then had to explain what we were asking to about 60% of the customers. Some people thought we meant the powder seasonings. We went back to asking if they wanted butter. I guess most people know what we are asking and know it's not real butter. I remember being asked if I wanted golden topping at a first run theatre run, I bet that really confused people. I don't buy food at the Silver City any more so I don't know what they ask. They have both the topping and real butter (which is extra).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golden topping sounds most suspect to me.

Are these products things we can buy and use at home?

How much more (%) does butter cost than this margerine-like substance?

WesternFilm said...

I don't think you can buy the Popcorn topping for home use. It's expensive, two 9 litre jugs are $100.00
Butter is about 50% more I think. It's been a while since I calculated it out. Also since we only have one screen we would have a problem with spoilage, we likely wouldn't go through it fast enough. I don't think butter can be reheated too many times.