Thursday, February 05, 2009

Next Week's Films Feb 6 - 12



To my mild surprise Frost/Nixon was available. Considering it's nominated for Oscars for Best Picture, Director, Editing and Actor I would have expected it to play first run longer. However it's not exactly the highest profile pic and not a subject matter the 'masses' would be interested in. I was also kinda surprised the Hyland hadn't booked it in, normally we would have had to wait for them as well. I booked it in for the 7pm show.


Valkyrie was also available. I booked it in for the late show. If you had asked me before it came out I would have said we would never play it. Every indication was it was going to bomb. However it turned out to be a really good film either because of, or in spite of, Tom Cruise depending on who you talk to. It's more because it has a great director, Bryan Singer. I'm a little leery about it as a late show since it was marketed largely to adults but I think enough students will want to see it.




I had planned to put Yes Man off until the following week but I realized that is a dead week. It's the first week of slack week. The place will be a ghost town. I'm planning to play Australia to 'kill' the week unless something else adult oriented like Doubt comes available.

We may actually get backlogged, Yes Man is available, we should be able to get Doubt and Rachel Getting Married as soon as the Hyland drops them and Benjamin Button was close to coming off. Twilight is still doing pretty good in it's second week that I might bring it back if I have a good late show spot open.


UPDATE: I found out the Hyland is playing Frost/Nixon the same week we are. I bet they aren't too happy. Universal seems to consider us in different zones as this isn't the first time we've both played the same film at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

since slack week's considered "dead", does that mean that ur not gonna be playin anythin good ?? by this i mean somethin light-hearted and not too artsy--