Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Next Week's Film Feb 13 - 19




Next week is one of the hardest weeks of the year to book. It's all during Slack Week so there are very few students around. Playing anything 'good' would mostly be wasting it. I usually try to book something more adult oriented since they are still around.


I had planned to book Australia in. It's adult oriented and since it's so long there would only be one show which would save on labour costs for the week.


However Rainbow downtown is finishing with Milk and it was offered to us. If I decided not to take it the print would have gone somewhere else and I might not have been able to get another one any time soon. So I booked in Milk. Revolutionary Road was also offered which I took since I was playing Milk instead of Australia. I may have had a similar print problem with it as well.


So I was left with two dilemmas, I've got two films booked in for a dead week that I know a lot of students want to see and both movies would work best as 7pm shows. There will be a lot of people who want to see both films but don't go to the late show for a variety of reasons.

I decided to do the following which should solve both problems. I've already booked both films in for the following week but I'm going to switch the order. That way both films play at 7pm at some point. The following week is only partly in Slack Week so the students will be here for most of it.

Now watch both films tank...

Marley and Me was also available but it's from Fox so can't be split. It will probably play starting March 27 unless something like Benjamin Button is available. Yes Man is also still waiting in the wings.

However it looks like circumstances are making a liar out of me. I don't think Western Film will be playing Australia. It comes out on DVD March 3. Which really sucks because I told people I would be playing it. However when I told people that there was no reason to suspect that it would more or less bomb in North America. Between it's running length and Fox not letting me split it I never had a full week open I could put in a movie I didn't think would do very well.

2 comments:

Gaston said...

So, you are playing these two movies for two weeks, inverting the schedule in the second week?

Anonymous said...

Will you let us know how the movies did? Did your plan work?