Saturday, January 13, 2007

More Western Film Mini-reviews

I've seen a few movies lately so I thought I'd make another entry.

Night at The Museum- I can sum up this film in one phrase. Predictable but a lot of fun. It's from Fox and they will likely want both shows all week and generally considered a kid's pic so I'm not sure it will play at Western Film.

Driving Lessons - a British movie playing at the Hyland. Stars the kid who plays Harry Potter's friend and Julie Walters who I've always liked. It was the age old story of young man and old lady develop an unusual friendship but was still interesting to watch. Won't be coming to Western Film, not enough awareness.

Children of Men (minor spoiler) - I loved this movie. It was extremely interestingly done. I can see why Universal is having a hard time marketing it. It's not a normal movie. Some of the people I saw it with were a little WTF on the way out. They are marketing it as sci-fi but other than taking place in the future there's no sci-fi element to it. It seems to appeal most to the more film literate. One person I know has already seen it twice. Personally I think this movie could be like Bladerunner, unappreciated in it's time but eventually considered a masterpiece.

minor Spoiler---- One thing I hate in reviews is when a major plot point is given away. One reviewer at Cinematical gave away a major event in the film when he said...just kidding. I would never do that. There is one thing I found really fascinating that I can say but if you haven't seen it you may not want to read it until after. I was trying to figure out why they did one scene in a particular way. The main characters are running from a situation and stop to see what happens where they just left. I realized that as far as I can remember the entire film takes place within earshot or eyesight of the main character (Clive Owen). I can't think of a single scene that takes place away from him with other characters. It's shot sorta documentary/reality even down to some blood spots on the camera in one scene. Fascinating movie, I highly recommend. It will definintly be coming to Western Film.

No comments: