Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Anybody heard of FIRED! ?

The distributor for a movie called Fired! contacted me about playing the film at Western Film. I'd never heard of the film before I got his e-mail. The movie is a semi documentary from a woman who got fired by Woody Allen. Various people and celebrities talk about getting fired in the past. It also has a social commentary aspect addressing the growing gap between the rich and the poor in the US. Did you know the average CEO makes 435 times the wages of the average worker?!

The film looks funny from the trailer. The distributor said the woman from the movie had been on some TV shows and the movie had been reviewed in lots of papers. Has anyone seen any of these?

I have a couple dilemmas about whether to play it at Western Film.

In general if people haven't heard of a film they won't go see it. Western Film can only really tell people what we are playing, we can't make them want to see it. That's generally the job of the distributor and marketers.

The film isn't on film but only video. I have had a policy against ever playing anything but film since the quality difference is so vast between film and video in the theatre. For those of you that have been to Western Film the slideshow is played on the video projector. One reason I don't want to play video is in case anyone thinks that is what Western Film always plays.

However there are more and more interesting small films that aren't available on film so at some point I may have to relax the policy.

So I have a question, would you pay $4.24 to see an interesting movie on a video projector?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wudn't

Anonymous said...

Nope sorry!

Anonymous said...

Renting costs more than $5, I think. It's been a long time...