Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Next Week's Movie Jan 23 - 29


Twilight was finally available so I booked it in for the 7pm show initially. The only other new film available was Seven Pounds as a holdover from last week. I still don't want to play it as a late show so I put it off another week. The booker was checking on Valkyrie and Yes Man but neither was available. I would have put Valkyrie in as a late show, not sure about Yes Man, it probably needs to be the 7pm show. Quantum of Solace is doing well enough I could probably bring it back for another week but I decided to hold that as a reserve move.


Since I didn't have another new film to put in as a late show I decided to play Twilight for both shows. I think it's a pretty safe bet, the last time we had this many people ask when we were going to get a movie was Borat. It did huge business.


The following week will be Seven Pounds followed probably by either Valkyrie or another week of Quantum or Twilight depending on how it does. The only wrinkle with that plan also has to do with Borat. That was one of the weirdest films attendance wise. The first week it did about double what a 'hit' movie at Western Film does. Most movies do about 50% of their first week gross if I keep them a second week. Borat only did about 15%?! I was truly shocked, there wasn't any obvious reason like a holiday so I still have no explanation. So, the spector of Borat will linger over my head if Twilight does how much I think it will and I have to decide whether to keep it for another week.

No comments: