Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Finally saw Grindhouse.

I finally got to see Grindhouse on Sunday night. It was pretty cool. The first movie, Planet Terror, directed by Robert Rodriguez, was a fun, gory, way over the top B-movie. It was pretty much non-stop action. The fake trailers between the two movies were really funny and one was scarier than the movies. The directors had fun 'damaging' the film as described in an earlier post. I'm glad I've seen it so I'll know what to expect when it plays here.
The second film, Death Proof, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was quite different. It was more dialogue driven which some people didn't like since it came across as slow to them. The dialogue was very Tarantino with swear words and lots of the word Michael Richards regrets saying. The action sequences were amazing. I don't know how they did them, there must have been a lot of CGI erasing of safety harnesses or something.

There was some press because the movie didn't do as well as expected on it's opening weekend. There were several potential reasons given,
-people didn't 'get' the movie, especially in 'middle America'.
-it was too long for people to sit through.
-people didn't understand the concept- apparently some people left after the first movie not knowing there was a second.
-the running time reduced the number of shows a theatre could show per day. You could do 2 shows of many movies in the time it took to do one of Grindhouse.

I think it was a combination with emphasis on the last one, the show I saw was almost full.

So, if you want over 3 hours of fun I highly recommend Grindhouse, just make sure you don't have to go to the bathroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GRIZZZIND HIZZZZZOUSE. I haven't seen this movie yet, but I really want to! I watched the review for this movie at http://www.atthemovies.com with Ebert and Roeper, and they gave it two thumbs up. I usually hate reading reviews, but Roeper actually gave an honest opinion, and he truly appreciated the movie for what it was supposed to represent. Most critics just like to make judgements based on face value, because it conflicts with their own personal tastes, and they are usually unintelligent in that sense anyhow. But now I really want to watch the movie, so I can come to my own conclusions about the movie. Hopefully one day, audiences can learn to appreciate an off the wall concept such as Grindhouse. But in the meantime, I think everyone should check out http://www.atthemoviestv.com for really great movie reviews. :D