Thursday, December 07, 2006

Next Week's Movies.

Next week was one of those interesting weeks where I have some to choose from but no obvious ones I 'have' to play.

The only two new movies were:

The Fountain- I heard some people liked it but it bombed.
A Good Year- bombed spectacularly, in my opinion due to bad marketing. Also we couldn't split it so that wasn't even an option.

I decided to bring back the Departed. It did really well last week. Also it was the late show last week so moving it to the early show will appeal to some people who couldn't go to the late show.

The late show for the week was a dilemma, I could have brought is one of the movies I've been holding back on. I checked into some smaller art films like Little Children but no prints were available. Art films tend to work better as the early show anyway.

There was one art film that would make a good late show, Shortbus. Because of the explicit content I didn't want any one trying to bring kids. They couldn't get in anyway since it's rated R. It's sort of an experiment since it does have low awareness. It's an awesome movie. I've seen it twice already.

There's only one playweek left before we shut down for Christmas. It's traditionally a slow week since the students are either busy with exams or leaving. I may bring in a short funny movie like Employee of the month. They make good exam breaks plus I wouldn't want to 'waste' a good movie.

I was given a date when The Prestige is available but it's the day after we shut down so it will be playing right after Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should play the fountain in the new year. Despite it bombing in theatres it is a visually stunning movie and the fact that it is a Darren Aronofsky film will draw students in not sure what to expect from it because of the brilliance that was Requiem For A Dream.

WesternFilm said...

When I saw The Fountain I couldn't decide if it was ahead of it's time, too artistic or just bad. Maybe that was the point. After Christmas we should have a lot of films to choose from so I doubt I'd be able to bring in The Fountain.