Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas at the movies.

Way back when I wondered why some movies open on Christmas Day. I figured no one would be going since everyone was doing Christmas stuff. I have since found out Christmas day is one of the singlest busiest days of the years at movie theatres. I figure it's a combination of the following.

-The movies that open Christmas Day. I'd be curious to find out how this trend got started. It wasn't all that long ago movie theatres couldn't be open on Sundays.
-People who don't celebrate Christmas go to the movies because there isn't anything much else to do.
-People who don't have anyone to celebrate Christmas with for whatever reason go for the escapism if they feel lonely.
- Family members who get together for the holidays go to the movies. I figure sometimes it's because people feel they have to get together because it's Christmas but don't really want to spend time together, so they go to a movie.

Anyone have other ideas to add?

1 comment:

Fedora Guy said...

I did catch "Life Aquatic" on Christmas Day two years back, but only because my wife was working at the cinema that day and because my family was (is) three time zones away.

In retrospect, that was a weird, creepy sort of a Christmas film. I'd far rather have had a re-release of "Die Hard" (which I watched on the 23rd this year - traditions, traditions...)