Thursday, March 03, 2011

Can't Decide if this is good or bad.


Press Release: SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (March 3, 2011) – Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date – February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a “galaxy far, far away,” Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga’s most stunning and spectacular sequences – from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi. Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.


I'm one of many with a love/hate relationship with George Lucas. I love the Star Wars films but haven't always appreciated what he's done with them. It really pisses me off that he won't let movie theatres play them. That's why none of them have played in our Midnight series. It also annoys me how hard he makes it for people to see the original three movies as they were originally released.

Still, I imagine I'll go see Phantom in 3D. I don't think I've seen the movie in about 10 years.

1 comment:

JT said...

I generally despise 3D movies, but this is something I'm really looking forward to. There are so many scenes from every movie (e.g. the pod race in Ep. I, the trench run in Ep. IV, and the battle of Hoth in Ep. V) that - if done properly - should look jaw-dropping in 3D.

As for the original releases, didn't they all come out on DVD a few years ago? I didn't buy them, but my brother has them and refuses to show anything but the original versions to his 4 year old son. :D Still, it would be nice if they're included on the Blu-Rays due out later this year - I'd like to see them again, but I don't feel like paying even more money for them.